Thursday, February 3, 2011

The Curse of Love

Plenty a time we try our best to show people love. Even if they're strangers we love them as best as we can because that's what we're called to do. Strangers, seeing the effort, will try to love the person back as best as they know how.

Here's the thing...sometimes it's just not beneficial to either parties.

Sylvia and Heidi's mom is the bomb diggity. I can see love in her eyes when she smiles and it warms my heart to see a big ass bible on the table kitchen because I know she's been reading that whenever she's not cooking for us. Her food is AMAZING. I absolutely love Korean food and her food. I could eat it forever and ever. But I have a goal in mind and my diet outside of social settings is extremely strict. I always keep myself disciplined because that's how I roll. Before she came I would eat the same thing every-single-meal. X amount of protein, x amount of carbs and x amount of fat: these are broken further down into specific proteins, carbs and fat. I make myself a living experiment.

Momma Kim throws a wrench in my plan with her love. Most people wouldn't complain getting breakfast in a tray at 8 AM every morning and lunch packed on the side. Kevin Sun's not most people. Kevin Sun gots-ta complain.

She destroys my strict diet. For the foreseeable week (it's already been a week, almost) I am stuck eating delicious things that I don't want to eat. I can't refute it because it's rude. I can't cook my own food because she'll be thinking "Am I not feeding him enough?" Also, no normal person eats as much protein as me. I eat a freaking chicken as a snack. Hence I get served normal people portion protein. That kind of treatment for a man that ate a 72 ounce steak in 30 minutes is akin to abuse.

Such a dilemma and ironic situation no? She's loving me beyond what she needs to do out of the goodness of her heart and I appreciate it more than I know how to express. It's totally awesome and I hope every person on earth emulates momma Kim's nature. I try my best to show her how much I love it by straying off my path and goal to show appreciation. In the end, she does a crapload of more work and I do 50 extra pushups and jumping squats before meals. Love sure is a lot of work, sometimes unnecessary work.

But I guess because there is love, any extra work makes it seem alright.

2 comments:

  1. bahaha oh korean mothers and their cooking! you can never say no when they say "DUH MUHGUH!" and proceeds to put food on your plate, without permission.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you're waistline is doomed. better enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete