Wednesday, December 22, 2010

I'm not a smart man...but I know what love is.

Forrest Gump: Will you marry me? 
[Jenny turns and looks at him] 
Forrest Gump: I'd make a good husband, Jenny. 
Jenny Curran: You would, Forrest. 
Forrest Gump: ...But you won't marry me. 
Jenny Curran: [sadly] ... You don't wanna marry me. 
Forrest Gump: Why don't you love me, Jenny? 
[Jenny says nothing] 
Forrest Gump: I'm not a smart man... but I know what love is. 


Sigh, this coming from a man with an IQ of 76. He knows what love is and I have no clue. My IQ's literally double of his. 


People probably struggle to place a finger on what that word means anyway - I know I'm not alone in that. Most people down play the meaning of love and other people assume they know what it is. It's worse than playing with fire because you'll either burn yourself or someone else. Burns leave a scar and hurt for a bit; but these burns sear themselves deep within a person and changes them forever. People who are love burned are scared: they have low self esteem and lose a chunk of hope.


But every once in a while God throws me a fricken bone and shows me a glimpse of love through people. It restores a little bit of hope and eases the pain that seems to have oddly numbed me. A connection like that with a person is certainly rare so I'll cherish the memories. 


But I'm still jealous of this verging on mildly retarded guy. He KNOWS what it is. I'm scrapping together little pieces.


Maybe the drill sergeant said it best:


Drill Sergeant: God damn it, Gump! You're a god damn genius! This is the most outstanding answer I have ever heard. You must have a goddamn I.Q. of 160. You are goddamn gifted, Private Gump.


There is still no movie that tops Forrest Gump for me. Bittersweet hope for a bittersweet man living a bittersweet life. 



No comments:

Post a Comment