Tuesday, June 8, 2010

What a Night

I get a call around 2am from a friend that I had feelings for before but she rejected me. She sounded shaken and nervous...kind of sad and lonely. I didn't know what happened to her nor did I bother to ask.

"Hey...can you come out for a bit?"
"Ummm...uhhh...k."

In my head I was screaming "Are you fricken serious?? It's 2am. I have work tomorrow!" But I knew inside she wouldn't act like this unless it was something important. I had to go.

I get dressed and walk out the door like a zombie. The drive over to pick her up was only 5-10 minutes but seemed like an hour as I fought to keep my eyes open.

I pick her up; awkward silence. Finally to cut through the thick like cement atmosphere I bust out the trusty line:

"What's up?"
"Can we go to the park?"
Hendon park - the place for late night strolls and long talks about anything and everything. We go.

I pop my trunk open to grab my blanket for her since 2:30 am is unsuspectingly cold. We walk around the park with light conversation underlined by a heavy undertone of unspoken thoughts. I try my hardest to use my super power of mind reading but it seems like my powers only work in NORMAL FRICKEN HOURS.

She catches my eye staring at her trying to dissect her mind. Her lips open with a light sigh, a brief pause
"...Hey, do you think...you and I, we could...you know..."
"...BANG? K!"
"...."
"Sorry."
"I know last time I didn't give you a chance...but I think now I'm ready."

Funny she thinks that all revolves around her. Funny she thinks my feels and views on life and the world are the same. Funny she thinks I'm the one sitting here waiting for her on my knees.

"Love waits for no one." I said.
"...."
"I guess this is how it turns out, you know? We weren't meant to be. The right time for me wasn't the right time for you...and now that the time's right for you...the time for me has already passed."

She looks at me in hatred as if I just treated her like scum. I'm perplexed. What did she want me to do? Lie to her?

Her lips quivered the rest of the night and ride home. I couldn't bear to look at her because I don't like seeing people sad. Yet at the same time there was no ounce of remorse coming from me because I had no feelings for her anymore. My heart was cold and set like stone. I didn't budge nor did I reconsider.

We're in front of her place and it's now 3:30 am. She wouldn't get out of the car. Sitting there in silence, we both looked forward at the street lights turning yellow, green, red.

"I said no back then because I was afraid" she says to me.
Yellow, green, red. I thought...or is it green, red, yellow?
"I didn't want to jeopardize anything between us and it didn't seem realistic for us, you know, given our circumstances"
No, it's definitely red, yellow green.

Am I heartless? A little. Was she heartless? A little. That's how love works. It waits for no one and it folds for no one. Just because I wanted to be with her back then doesn't mean she would me. Now is the same situation.

"Love waits for no one" I said again.
I give her a faint smile that was as cold as ice.
"Good night" I said.
Her eyes attempt to pierce my calloused heart as she was about to leave. Unaffected, I continue to smile
"Bye."

It was completely unexpected that it'd happen last night. I didn't think it would ever happen. The timing of it was utterly baffling. Why now? Why not when I liked you? Thus fate turns in circles to those seeking love like a unreachable goal. Wouldn't it have been so much easier if we all liked each other at the same time? One can dream.

Sigh. Work, I thought.

2 comments: