Monday, November 30, 2009

Glimpse of Happiness in a Void

*EDIT* never typing Korean again in my blog. Messed up the format at the bottom. Have fun reading -_-

Today while working out at the gym, I see this little chubby kid run down the stairs by the weights. His lips begin to widen and soon stretch ear to ear almost as if he wanted to be Julia Roberts. What made him do such a perfect impersonation was that he saw this huge yoga ball (you know, the big bouncy balls that you do crunches on or other gymtards [gym retards] who like to do squats on.) Well, he quickly ran to it and started bouncing the ball up and down, up and down. With each successive bounce back to his chubby little fingers his lips were closer to his ear lobes. His shiny eyes with hope and TRUE joy locked on to his fathers. Hoping to share this joy with one of the most important people in the world to him, he kept on bouncing the ball and his eyes screamed "Daddy, look! Isn't it awesome??"

It was so awesome to him. He was so unselfish and willing to share.

Yet the father silently stared back with no emotion. He waves his hand over and says "let's go, come on." The kid stays put, lips a little further from the earlobes now. The father doesn't budge. The child's moon crescent shaped eyes made of joy were now turning back to its normal olive shapes. Happiness that wanted to be shared and was selflessly offered was shot down just like that.

You see, a lot of the times we don't understand this simple thing. What's important to you may not be important to others; what's important to others may be worthless to you. So when someone shares something with you and you don't give a rat's ass or damn to respond or even acknowledge them, great evil is being done. ESPECIALLY to kids. This child that I saw today may have drawn to the conclusion that sharing things you love will get you rejected. Maybe it's better not to share happiness with other people. What a cruel thing to learn especially since it demolishes hope. A father who couldn't be bothered to walk over for 30 seconds to bounce that yoga ball with his kid while sharing a smile could have taught his son a very wrong lesson. What's worse he could have placed a barrier between their relationship.

I almost forgot to put this entry. Leaving 노래방, Matt ran off to finch market. He came back with two 김밥. I went to a sushi buffet today and was not hungry at all. I politely turned him down.
He looked over and said "I bought it for you!" Haha...I couldn't help but smile inside knowing God
wanted to remind me of the lesson I learned today. So I took it and watched him munch down on
his. As I'm writing this I'm eating it. And yes Matt, I failed at peeling the wrapper too.
Thank you for sharing a glimpse of your happiness with me, it's more delicious than any 김밥
I've had in a long time. I will not be the one to discourage people from trying to share their joy.

I will not be that kind of a father.

I will not be like my father.

I will be like my Father.

1 comment: