Saturday, January 30, 2010

What is to Become of Us

Ever want power? I know I do. I want immense power, not the type to influence a few people, but the kind to attract attention and change the course of powerful people's perspectives. THAT kind of power. But power corrupts...and absolute power corrupts absolutely.

This is a quotation from Lord Acton, in a letter to Bishop Mandell Creighton, 1887:
"Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men."
Acton was preceded by William Pitt the Elder, who voiced a similar thought in a House of Lords speech in 1770:
"Unlimited power is apt to corrupt the minds of those who possess it; and this I know, my lords, that where laws end, tyranny begins."

And what of that? Check this movie out...
http://aznv.tv/?p=m2307
It's a movie about power, bond, and corruption. A Jackie Chan movie, but not your typical light hearted ones like we're used to. This is similar to Chingoo if you've seen it.

Let me say this much,

"I never asked for nothin I don't demand of myself
Honesty, loyalty, friends and then wealth
Death before dishonor and I tell you what else
I tighten my belt 'fore I beg for help
Foolish pride is what held me together through the years
I wasn't felt which is why I ain't never played myself
I just play the hand I'm dealt, I can't say I've never knelt
before God and asked for better cards at times to no avail
But I never sat back feelin sorry for myself
If you don't give me heaven I'll raise hell

'Til it's heaven"

Yes, right now it's honesty, loyalty, friends and then wealth...will those values still hold once there's power seeping through my fingers?

A man who's willing to raise hell til it's heaven is a man that is open to corruption by power. God protect me from evil doings and that I may shy my eyes away from them. Let me not have power until my heart can handle it; for it'd truly be a waste for someone to use Your power whilst his mind is open to corruption. I want power. Give me power. But give me a humble heart first.

1 comment:

  1. "Yes, right now it's honestly, loyalty friends and then wealth.."

    honesty! u forgot to take the L out. unless u meant to say honestly...

    anyway, where'd u get that "rap" (?) from? i like it

    ReplyDelete